Britain’s empire was built on its naval strength, consolidated by the Industrial Revolution and the Golden Age of Railways. However, the story of the RAF’s victory in the air and the subsequent aviation revolution that saw Concord take to the skies, gives inspiration to this tour celebrating the three great modes of transport that make the UK what it is today.
We’ll travel on first-class trains and luxury coaches, and stay in quality 3- and 4-star accommodation on our adventure that also incorporates great scenery, architecture and a vast, eclectic mix of England’s cultural icons.
At a glance
- Heritage railways of the Isle of Wight, North Wales and Yorkshire Moors
- Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, The National Railway Museum York
- Liverpool’s dockyards, Bristol’s port, York Minster and the wonders of Cambridge
- Great houses in Yorkshire, terraces in Bath and Abbeys in Whitby
- Ferry across the Mersey, locks at Foxton and SS Great Britain in Bristol
- Full day on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway to Whitby
- Stonehenge, royal residence of Osborne House, Castle Howard and Conwy Castle
- Visit to the Fleet Air Arm Museum
- A full day pass to experience the world renowned Duxford Air Show
TOUR PACE / LEVEL OF FITNESS:
Our itineraries are designed to make the most of what’s available along the way so a reasonable amount of activity is built into most days, which is why we call them adventures. Our philosophy is to offer the most of a destination leaving you, the guest, to pace yourselves and choose how much or how little you may like to do. We do however incorporate some free time for exploration and relaxation on your own and time at leisure is peppered throughout the tour.
A reasonable level of fitness is required for most of our tours. Being able to manage your own luggage, get on and off all manner of trains, various amounts of walking, standing and climbing steps and stairs are all part of our adventures. Please talk to the team if you are unsure of your ability to participate or need more detail about what’s involved. Our tour to England is rated as a gentle adventure tour.