Java is the richest, lushest and most densely populated of Indonesia’s countless islands. Its diverse landscape ranges from towering volcanoes to dense rainforest, manicured rice paddies and vibrant cities. Our train adventure explores this 1000km long island starting in Jakarta and travelling through Bandung, Yogyakarta, Solo and Mt Bromo in the east where we take a short ferry trip to Bali. This is a unique tour that includes many cultural highlights, exclusive visits, private train experiences and opportunities to mix with the friendly people of this amazing island. Our journey ends in Ubud at a luxurious resort nestled in the lush tropical rain forest. This tour really does explore the undiscovered gem that is Java.
At a glance
- Unique transport including 3 private train charters, an ox cart ride through a local village, a lorry (rail trike) tour through the tropical coffee & spice jungles of East Java, steam train rides in Ambarawa and Solo and a ferry to Bali
- Guided tour of the world UNESCO heritage sites of Borobudur and Prambanan
- A visit to the smouldering volcano of Tangkuban Perahu and an option to view sunrise over volcanic Mr Bromo
- Tour the PT INKA workshops in Madiun where Indonesian Rail build their locomotives and carriages
- Cultural experiences such as batik making, leather puppet making, traditional musical instrument demonstrations and a Ramayana Ballet performance