The first railway between Sydney and Brisbane via the scenic New England route has been closed for decades. However, part of this line, in Queensland, is still maintained and occasionally a very special rail tour brings this iconic line to life. This short and sweet Railway Adventure centres on a special springtime excursion along this historic and dramatic railway taking you across Southern Queensland’s Granite Belt from Warwick to Wallangarra.
To bookend the journey are tours in Toowoomba and Armidale featuring award winning museums, grand old country mansions, wineries and even a street party. Delicious meals, comfortable accommodation, a cast of interesting characters and plenty of interesting stories complete this compact short adventure along the route of an icon of Australia’s rail history.
At a glance
- Museum visit to Henry Parkes School of Arts.
- Explore Heritage Railway preservation collections at Toowoomba, Warwick, Wallangarra, Guyra, Tenterfield and Armidale.
- Special viewings of historic homesteads in Armidale and Tenterfield.
- Be a part of the sesquicentenary of the Railway reaching Toowoomba.
- Special half day steam train excursion from Brisbane to Toowoomba
- Private vintage carriage on the steam train trip from Warwick to Wallangarra.
- Comfortable coach travel and luggage transport throughout.
- 5 nights in quality accommodation and most meals included