It’s not hard to argue the merits of train travel, but to discover how far rail technology has come in the last two centuries you need look no further than a Japan train tour. Its excellent railway system is one of the world’s most extensive and advanced, and train travel is unarguably the best way to explore this fascinating country. Speed, efficiency, comfort, convenience and a choice of spectacular destinations are hallmarks of a Japan train tour.
At a glance
- Extensive rail travel using your JR Green Class (first class) Rail Pass, including numerous journeys on the iconic bullet Trains
- Travel by steam train on the famous heritage railways of Yamaguchi, Paleo, and Banetsu lines
- Journeys on the Sagano Forest Railway, Tozan Mountain Railway, regional expresses, subways and a vintage tram charter in Hiroshima
- Cruising around the Matsushima Islands, Arakawa River and across Hiroshima Bay to Miyajima
- Connections on major legs by luxury coach with separate luggage transport
- Paying homage to survivors at Hiroshima and Sendai
- Visiting historic temples, castles and cultural sites in Tokyo, Kyoto and Himeji
- Unsurpassed modern railway museums in Tokyo and Kyoto
- Fun at a sumo wrestling demonstration in Tokyo, the wacky fashions in Harajuku, and traditional Japanese sword making in Okayama
- Immersion in Japan’s unique food culture at fine restaurants including two traditional full-course Japanese dinners, and a night with The Singing Chef in Sendai
- Multiple nights in handpicked, centrally-located hotels – mostly 5-star and all with TripAdvisor™ Certificates of Excellence and ‘travellers choice’ or top ratings
- Exploring the unique story of Meiji Mura historic village, complete with an original Frank Lloyd-Wright designed hotel and narrow gauge steam railway
- English speaking local guides and the services of your experienced Australian host.