Australia’s wild west took an upward and progressive turn when the completion of the great Trans-Continental Railway in 1917 connected the Commonwealth’s largest state with the rest of the nation. No longer did travellers have to undertake an arduous sea voyage – this new, comfortable and very direct route became the foundation for a vibrant tourism industry that has gone from strength to strength.
The West has always seen itself as different to the rest of Australia, partly due to its size and isolation but also due to its unique and entrepreneurial character. Wide open landscapes of rich grazing and wheat country, towering forests of Karri and Jarrah, frontier gold mining towns carving some of the world’s richest lodes, magnificent islands, coastlines and beaches, verdant wine lands and sparkling, booming cities draw the curious traveller in droves.
On this railway adventure, we’ll tick all these boxes and more as we explore these highlights by a variety of train and coach, enjoying great hotels and fine food and wine along the way, all in the company of your experienced tour leader and other like-minded travellers.
- Enjoy a guided tour of Perth, with a special buffet dinner cruise on the Swan River
- Take a trip to picturesque Rottnest Island, to ride the quaint Oliver Hill narrow gauge railway
- Ride the Prospector Train in the outback, from Perth to Kalgoorlie
- Discover Western Australia’s rich gold rush history in Kalgoorlie’s Museum of the Goldfields and in the town of Coolgardie
- Explore Western Australia’s oldest colonial settlement, Albany, in detail
- Enjoy beautiful sweeping coastal views and pristine beaches in Esperance
- Explore the intriguing Mammoth Cave and surrounding bushlands
- Visit numerous local wineries in the Margaret River region for tastings, tours, and a delicious lunch
- Ride Hotham Valley Railway’s Steam Ranger train, a scenic line through the wilderness from the town of Dwellingup
- Enjoy luxury coach connections, an expert tour leader, and most meals included